Friday, October 10, 2008

Yes, I do live in China.

I was just saying that living in my bubble, I often forget that I live in China. In case there was ever any doubt, a few reminders. First of all, I sit here hitting the Great Firewall of China every time I reload to see The Office or even my own photos online.

Yesterday, I was on line to pay at Auchan. In front of me was a baby sitting the shopping cart with mommy and grandma ogling. Babies in China don't wear diapers, just pants with a gaping hole in the crotch and back. Ever since we've been here, we all wonder about how a person can safely hold a baby that way. So, LP was waiting in the line next to me. She turns to me and says, I still don't understand how people know when the baby is going to pee. No sooner does she that and I hear some laughter and the grandma jumps backwards. There is splash and it only takes me a split second to jump backwards myself. This little boy is peeing! I turn to LP - Um, so apparently this is how you know. I didn't know what to make of it but a little bit hit the front of my jeans and my shoes.

Today I went to the bank to wire some money and the guy helping me out later asked, as I was leaving, if he could call me sometime. But his English name is Peter Pan.

So, yeah, I live in China.



I continue to buy yogurt, which is supposed to be safe now. But I've also been told that it's so New York of me that I don't subscribe to mass hysteria. Note my photo here of the well-stocked dairy aisle that lacks customers.



Also, I think my blog is too boring since I don't have many pictures up. That's because the upload usually fails. I have some photos of Suzhou life here

No comments: